Baseball Info Solutions (BIS) opened its doors back in 2002 and has been on the leading edge of the advanced statistical study of baseball ever since. The company’s mission is to provide the most accurate, in-depth, timely professional baseball data, including cutting-edge research and analysis, striving to educate major league teams and the public about baseball analytics.
BIS employs a staff of expert baseball scouts and an army of highly trained video scouts who conduct several passes of each game, recording everything from basic box score data to times and locations of balls in play, pitch types and locations, defensive shifts, and much more.
The company’s analysts and programmers dissect data, producing a variety of predictive studies and analytics, including Defensive Runs Saved. Defensive Runs Saved estimates the number of runs a defender saves or costs his teams because of his ability to convert balls in play into outs, defend bunts, turn double plays, prevent baserunner advancements, and several other factors. A couple of the more recent advancements are Strike Zone Plus/Minus—which measures the number of extra strikes drawn because of the framing tendencies of catchers, pitchers, batters, and umpires—and Stolen Base Red Light/Green Light—which predicts baserunner success rates on stolen bases against various pitcher-catcher combinations, even if they have never faced each other.
Baseball Info Solutions was co-founded by John Dewan, who has been a leader in baseball analytics for more than 25 years. From his first partnership with Bill James as the Executive Director of Project Scoresheet to co-founding STATS, Inc. and his 15-year tenure as CEO, John has continually broken new ground in sports data and analytics. Through products and publications such as The Bill James Handbook and The Fielding Bible, John, Bill, and BIS have continued that tradition to this day.
Baseball Info Solutions is regularly looking to fill positions, so check back on this page throughout the year for current openings.
Information Technology Analyst
The candidate will develop new features and products as well as help maintain existing internal and external products within a mature codebase. The ideal candidate will be responsible for building applications, including anything from back-end services to their client-end counterparts. The primary responsibilities will be to design and develop these applications, and to coordinate with the rest of the team working on different layers of the infrastructure. Therefore, a commitment to collaborative problem solving, sophisticated design, and quality product is essential.
- Develop new features, applications and maintain existing applications and reports for use internally and by SIS clients, including MLB and NFL coaches and front office staff
- Design, build, and maintain efficient, reusable, and reliable code
- Ensure the best possible performance, quality, and responsiveness of applications
- Identify bottlenecks and bugs, and devise solutions to these problems
- Help maintain code quality, organization, and automation
- Full life-cycle development
- Web development in C# and ASP.NET
- Windows application development in VB and C#
- Correspond with clients, including MLB and NFL teams, agents, media companies, and others
Ideal candidates will possess:
- 3-6 years of relevant experience
- Proficient in C#, with a good knowledge of its ecosystems • Familiarity with the .NET framework
- Strong understanding of object-oriented programming
- Strong familiarity with Microsoft SQL Server programming
- Familiar with various design and architectural patterns
- Knack for writing clean, readable C# code
- Understanding fundamental design principles behind a scalable application
- Creating database schemas that represent and support business processes
- ASP.NET (Web Forms or MVC) and Windows Forms
- Understanding of SSRS
- HTML and CSS • In-depth knowledge of MS Development tools
- Basics of Windows Server Administration
- Bonus Points for: Open Source (languages/databases/Linux), DevOps and either AWS or Azure experience
- Self-motivated attitude
- Great communication skills
- Able to work in a collaborative, team environment or independently as needed
- Knowledge of baseball statistics and analytics
Click here to apply.